Sunday, March 6, 2011

Break and Biscuits

Sorry for the break everyone. I could give you a whole gamut of excuses...but you probably really don't care about those. Numerous excuses to none, I decided that I just needed to write. I have a few posts that I have been working on but they are just not ready for publishing quite yet.

Well, Ross has been working lots and lots of overtime lately. At least 9 hour days Monday through Friday and 8 hours on Saturdays and an occasional "voluntary" half-day on Sundays. The overtime pay is great but having an exhausted husband is not so much fun. He does continue to get his rest which keeps him from getting sick and hopefully they will be able to cut back a bit soon. But it really is not all that bad. We are very grateful that he has a job!!

I have recently discovered that my ability to cook has gone down the drain somewhat. It is probably just because I just stopped cooking for a while. Well, I am currently making strides to begin cooking more and ultimately preparing more meals at home. One of my current hurdles...homemade biscuits.

With biscuits, I am on my third batch. At least this morning they were edible. The last couple of batches I would not feed the dog. It seems so easy...flour, crisco, and buttermilk. I grew up watching and helping both my grandmother and mom make them perfectly. Even making them by myself on occasion. The problem now you may ask...well, there is no recipe for their biscuits. It is basically all by sight and feel. So that has been my problem as I try to figure it out.  I have resourced some recipes online but haven't found the right combination just yet. I am getting closer with every batch! Progress is all I really care about at this point. However, I am sure that Ross would really like some good biscuits at some point. But even he has been a good sport about my recent failed attempts.

I will continue to write and make progress in my biscuit making. One day I hope to master them both!

1 comment:

  1. They are hard! And no recipe! I feel you...but practice makes perfect! I really like the Butter Flavor Crisco, adds a nice touch...

    ReplyDelete